All employees, and volunteers who interact with minors, are required to complete and maintain safe environment credentials through the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis. This includes completion of the VIRTUS training as well as submission of the Volunteer Application and a Background Check.
- Employees and volunteers may not begin volunteering until approved by the Safe Environment Coordinator. Alison Wacek is the coordinator at St. John’s school.
- Incomplete VIRTUS accounts are deleted after 30 days, and you will be required to start over.
- If you previously created a VIRTUS account, do not create an additional/new account. Contact Alison Wacek at email@example.com for assistance, so your account can be updated prior to login.
- If you are unable to access and existing VIRTUS account, contact Alison Wacek.
- To retrieve or reset your login information, click I Need Login Help on the VIRTUS home page.
To ensure successful completion of the requirements, follow the information below before creating your VIRTUS account. If you have an existing VIRTUS account,
Total Time Commitment: Approximately 95 minutes
VIRTUS Instructions for First Time Users
- Go to the VIRTUS website (www.virtusonline.org)
- Click First Time Registrant
- Click Begin the Registration Process
- Select your organization – carefully choose St. Paul and Minneapolis, MN (Archdiocese)
- Enter your full legal name. Do not use nicknames or punctuation.
- Primary location: If your primary location is a school, select the location with School in the title.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions on the website in the order presented.
- Complete the Code of Conduct
- Complete the Background Check application
- The application will open in the McDowell Agency website.
- Your social security number (SSN) is required.
- Click submit at the end of each step to proceed.
- A note will appear on the screen to confirm the application has been successfully submitted.
- Click Return to VIRTUS to begin your online training module.
- Complete Safe Environment Training (approximately 75 minutes)
The two forms below need to be filled out and returned to Alison Wacek in the school office.
- Do not use a cell phone or tablet. Use Google Chrome as a browser from a computer. Allow pop-ups.
- Do not log in on multiple devices. If you changed devices, log out completely and restart the first device.
- Do not close tabs until instructed.
- Do not use the “page back” or “page forward” buttons on the web browser.
- Only use the buttons on the screens, such as “Continue,” “Next,” and “Previous.”
- Fast-forwarding the training module will cause the module to lock up. You will be forced to start over.
For more information on the Archdiocesan Safe Environment requirements, visit the Essential 3 (E3) page on their website.