St. John the Baptist School faces its future with the same dedication and faith in God as the parishioners who established it in 1952. We continue to live the educational philosophy of Monsignor Paul Koscielniak, the pastor who spearheaded the effort to build the school. Monsignor Paul felt that school is an extension of the home and, as such, St. John’s School would provide a caring environment for each student.
When the doors first opened on September 2, 1952, 424 students were greeted by six Sisters of the Order of St. Francis of Sylvania, Ohio and one lay teacher. These seven dedicated women graduated the first class of 29 eighth graders in June 1953. The children flourished under the skilled teaching and loving guidance of the Sisters. A foundation in the basics of reading, writing, and arithmetic continue to serve our alumni well.
Since then, school and classroom remodeling has occurred, creating space for a science/STEM lab and media center. In 2008, a playground funded entirely by parent/supporter donations was erected on the school’s west lawn. Technological advances utilized in the school today include the one-to-one Chromebook program for our middle school, 60 iPads for K-2 and interactive whiteboards.
St. John’s currently serves approximately 300 students in preschool – 8th grade, with a maximum class size of 25 students/class (18 for preschool). In the spirit of our founders, the faculty is entirely made up of lay teachers who continue the legacy of excellence in education – a focus on faith, service, respect and gratitude for God, self and others.